Tuesday 6 March 2012

A Monster Calls By Patrick Ness


A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
5/5 Stars

      The monster came at seven minutes past midnight- as they always do. 13 year old Connor wakes up to find the monster outside his window, but it's not the monster he's been expecting. He's been expecting the one that came in his nightmares ever since his mother fell ill. This monster is ancient, and it wants the worst thing of all from Conner, it wants the truth. The monster tells Connor three stories, and in return, he expects a fourth from Connor.
   
      What can I say? Patrick Ness has left me broken once again with this powerful book. It's really funny, I expected myself to cry when I came to the end, but instead I found myself really taking in what the monster had told Connor- the main character. Yet at the same time, I couldn't stop my heart from breaking. This is one thing I LOVE about his books! The heavy emotion that drops on you in the end. The way Patrick Ness wrote the story, really made me feel like I was sitting on a prairie under grey clouds, lying back against a big oak tree. Yeah, and lets not forget the soft summer breeze. For once in my life, I felt like I was reading a book. It really gave me that feeling that only a true book could give. If only all narrations where written as well as this one. Let us not forget the illustrations. There weren't a lot, but every time one showed up, I paused for a whole minute to feel that page and take in the marvellous piece of art Jim Kay has created. The other thing I couldn't help feeling was that somehow, in all the books Patrick Ness has written, I always get attached to the 'bullies'. In The Chaos Walking, it was Davy, and in this one, Harry. In a way, both seem like the innocent people who have been driven to act a certain way, even though it's not who they truly are. I believe Harry was not the bad guy... This book ended like most of Patrick Ness's books do. It ended with hope.
I can assure you all that I am definitely getting my hands on my own copy.

 
Check out the trailer for 'A monster calls' It is one you cannot miss!

No comments:

Post a Comment