Thursday 5 April 2012

Timeriders By Alex Scarrow

Liam O'Connor should have died in the Titanic in the year 1912. Maddy Carter should have died on a plane in the year 2010, and Sal Vikram should have died in a fire in 2026, yet just as the three came close to touching death, a mysterious man appeared out of no where and said '...Take my hand...'
They were saved, lucky, call it what you want, but in truth, the three were chosen to play very important roles in a time travelling agency that no one knows exists. Time travel had been invented, and that is why the three were needed. They had special talents that fit the job requirements of time travel, and they find themselves working along side each other to correct history that had been altered by the people from the future. They are the Timeriders, and they are here to protect us. Here to make sure that mankind doesn't go back and wreck the world.

***************************OPINIONS******************

I remember the first day I got this book in my hands. It sounded interesting, the cover looked intriguing, futuristic, and definitely had that sci-fi look to it. Even the blurb was good, but when a classmate of mine read the blurb, he said
'Oh, sounds cool... but also kind of cheesy..'
(me) 'Really, no it doesn't! Explain?'
(him) 'Well, time travel is cool, but it's always the same... something always happens with time, and someone needs to go fix it'
What he said was absolutely true. This is exactly what this book was about. Someone went back in time, which caused a 'sign' that let the Timeriders know something was wrong, and someone went back to fix it. It doesn't take a genius to realise that's what's going to happen, but that's not the point. You see, the thing is, obviously in books such as this one, something bad has to happen to history, but I think what counts is the event the author chooses. Whether it is made up, or something... say, like changing the history of the Germans?
    This story was absolutely amazing in any way possible. The plot was creative, and the characters would really surprise you. For example, the supposed 'bad guys' were actually very good guys who thought they could make a better future. Also, this book may not be under the humour section, but there were parts where I found myself laughing uncontrollably.
    The plot itself was really well thought out, and had me sitting on the edge of my seat. Of course, there were times where I would start to slouch on my chair because there was too much description, and not enough action, but none the less, this book deserves a good:
                      ★★★★

2 comments:

  1. Hi Zanib, just stumbled across your blog and noticed your review of TimeRiders. So glad you enjoyed the book. More to the point, noted that the bad guys aren't 'bad guys', just misguided. That I think is the key to good characters. We're all human, we sometimes get things wrong (even the heroes!)

    I hope you go on to give the rest of the 9 book series a go! Liam, Maddy and Sal have plenty more opportunities to get things wrong ;-)

    all the best

    Alex Scarrow (author - TimeRiders)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was definitely planning on reading the rest of the books(Can't believe I'm talking with the author!). Since I have the chance, let me just say, that your book was tremendous!

      Delete