Friday 21 June 2013

Book Haul #3

It's officially the first day of summer, June 21st, and what better way to spend it than to stare at the new books that just came in from the library. I've been waiting awhile for these four books, but hey, patience pays off. Once I finish them, I promise reviews! Without further ado:

Ashfall (Ashfall, #1)
Title: Ashfall
Author: Mike Mullin
Blurb: Many visitors to Yellowstone National Park don’t realize that the boiling hot springs and spraying geysers are caused by an underlying supervolcano, so large that the caldera can only be seen by plane or satellite. And by some scientific measurements, it could be overdue for an eruption.

For Alex, being left alone for the weekend means having the freedom to play computer games and hang out with his friends without hassle from his mother. Then the Yellowstone supervolcano erupts, plunging his hometown into a nightmare of darkness, ash, and violence. Alex begins a harrowing trek to seach for his family and finds help in Darla, a travel partner he meets along the way. Together they must find the strength and skills to survive and outlast an epic disaster.
 
My Reaction: So alright, the cover's cool, so is the title. The description is meh. The reason I went for this book was because I needed a dystopian. Just that. Also, I'd been seeing this book around the web for a while now, so I figured why not give it a try? I hope it proves worthy.
                                                         
Legend (Legend, #1)
 
 
Title: Legend
Author: Marie Lu
Blurb: What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.
 
My Reaction: Yes, so it's another dystopian, but come on, I haven't had a good dystopian for what seems like forever. Besides, my friend recommended, and I trust in her sense of books. Hope it's good, and can't wait to get my hands all over it.
 
The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate
 
 
Title: The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate
Author: Jacqueline Kelly
Blurb: Calpurnia Virginia Tate is eleven years old in 1899 when she wonders why the yellow grasshoppers in her Texas backyard are so much bigger than the green ones.With a little help from her notoriously cantankerous grandfather, an avid naturalist, she figures out that the green grasshoppers are easier to see against the yellow grass, so they are eaten before they can get any larger. As Callie explores the natural world around her, she develops a close relationship with her grandfather, navigates the dangers of living with six brothers, and comes up against just what it means to be a girl at the turn of the century.

My Reaction: Ok, my experience with books set in the past is perfect. I've never come across any book with a setting in the 90's and 80's that I haven't totally adored. Examples: The Book Thief, The Kite Runner, and Fever 1793. I've got big hopes for this baby, and hey, it's not a dystopian.

Thirst No. 5: The Sacred Veil (Thirst, #5)


Title: The Sacred Veil (Thirst no.5)
Author: Christopher Pike
Blurb: In her five thousand years as a vampire, Alisa - or Sita, as she was originally called - has experienced the equivalent of fifty lifetimes. Every moment of her immortal life is seared deep into her being. Every person she has loved, every victim she has killed - their faces are forever part of her.

Yet, strangely, a handful of memories have been lost to Alisa. As she and her friends embark on a search for the location of a sacred artifact - an ancient veil that may hold the key to mankind's salvation - Alisa soon realizes that her own mind may be her greatest enemy.

The memories she is blocking deal with the most horrifying period in mankind's history, a time when she was tortured by a madman responsible for the deaths of millions. But what information did her torture yield?


My Reaction: I enjoyed the past four volumes, and Sita has really become a favourite character of mine. Her moods, her style (especially her 'then you should never have been born' line). I'm scared of just one thing. That this book might just be pushing it a bit too far. What I mean is that I was certain that the fourth volume might be the last, but now this? Ok, I've just read a few reviews that state that this book has no real plot to the whole series. I'm a bit nervous, but I still can't wait!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment